incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 09:32:10 GMT
Hi Mechthilde,

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Mechtilde <ooo@mechtilde.de> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> you discuss about Release Plan and who are allowed to distribute
> binaries with the name Apache OpenOffice.
>
> But:
>
> What should a user do?
>
> There is no "official" binary available which anyone can install for
> testing.
>
> The DEB binary from  http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/
> can't be installed on a Debian 64 bit system.
>
> I already described this problem at 17.12.2011 but nothing happened. As
> Ariel described there must be an update of one programm on the buildbot.
>
> Does Apache also want to release more than one plattform?
>
> So we also need test binaries for these plattforms.
>
> In my opinion this is an *absolute release stopper* not to have binaries
> to test from "official" build maschines.

it's of course a serious problem where we have to find a solution. We don't
have the same infra structure as before and the release engineers did a lot
to ensure a common base line to support as many Linux versions as possible.
Normally the office would come via the distro and would have been build for
the distro and the specific versions of the system libraries. This is much
easier and i hope we can achieve this state in the future...

For now we have to find another solution. We should update the build bot
machine if possible. You have already mentioned the note from Ariel. And it
would be probably good to have a 32 bit build bot machine as well.  That
would help a lot and would probably  address most the systems (an update
on  Linux system is done quite often, isn't it)

We should define the exact switches that we use for our binary releases and
hopefully we can provide a set of builds on various systems for testing
purposes.

There is definitely a lot of room for improvements, so let us start to
figure our out what works best and let us improve our build/release process
over time.

Juergen