incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject need a redirect for "contributing", was...Fwd: Discovered a problem with link on website
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 23:06:57 GMT
Hi--

I'm not sure who to direct this to -- we need a redirect from the old
"contributing"/xxxx (as soon as is convenient) pages to

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html

...and...what to do about a search for "contribute" which lands folks in
the wrong areas...

-- *or* should we do a page redirect instead?

see the rest of this post for the problem....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Theodora Kimmel <theodora.kimmel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Subject: Discovered a problem with link on website
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org

Hello there,

I was reading about how to offer support, and on this page:
http://www.openoffice.org/contributing/  when I went to read about
³Guidelines for Participate in OpenOffice.org², I was lead to a ³domain not
found page,² provided to me through Optimum Online, my cable internet
provider.

The only way  I was able to get to the page I was looking for, moreover,
then required me to do a bit work and follow a number of steps.  I did
eventually get to the desired guidelines page, but obviously not through the
link you provided.

Here is how I did it:

On this ³domain not found page², I clicked this link:
www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/2.0/index.html, entitled ³The Free and
Open Productivity Suite.² It was about 3-4 titles down, if you count the
yellow highlighted ad at the top.

Once I clicked this link, I was brought to this site,
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/features/2.0/index.html which was back on
OpenOffice.org, but not where I needed to go.

I then went to the top right-hand corner of the light-blue/gray tool bar,
just under the icon for OpenOffice.org, and clicked ³dev_docs.² I did this
because I noticed when I was on the ³domain not found page², it was focused
on ³dev_docs² and wanted to know if maybe because my search had come up
empty, that  I needed to change these words provided in this format of
dev_docs.

Thus, when I made it back to the OpenOffice website, I decided to click on
that section, as I noticed I had somehow gotten to a page connected to
³dev_docs,² based on the flow-chart of arrows in the previously mentioned
tool-bar.

I then clicked on dev_docs, and was brought to this page:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/ and noticing there was, among the
right-hand side list of titles plus icons, one called ³guidelines,² I
clicked that, and assumed I had made it to the page I had intended to get to
all along.

This was the page I ended up at:
http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/guidelines.html

I hope this is the correct page. It seems so.

All of this said, please check the link on your website for ³Guidelines for
Participate in OpenOffice.org² as it not linking people to dev_docs within
the OpenOffice website.

Thank-you,

Theodora

MzK

"You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends
 with strange cats."
                                                  -- *Colonial American
proverb*