incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Website Help
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:59:17 GMT
Hi Louis -- :)

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts
<lsuarezpotts@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 17 January 2012 17:54, kay.schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> >> love

> actually
> (also

> is a
> "interpretation" I
> >> >

> >> I think the original  "help wanted" was with respect to the podling
> >> website:
> >>
> >> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
> >>
> >> It looks like something I would have designed.  That is not a good thing
> >> ;-)
> >>
> >> It could really use some "CSS Love" from someone with a good sense for
> >> design.
> >>

> > Well maybe Roman would like to contribute this "love". ;}
> >
> > Really, I am not so concerned with "style" on the "Help Wanted" page as
> > much as "currency" and "completeness". A LOT has happened since this page
> > was created. Yes, it needs some more/different elaboration at this point.
> >
> Tell me what to do and I can help write the text. it will to a degree
> be like old times. Bu then, finding out the to-dos took, quite
> literally, years. And was never fully done.

Right now, I see two areas on the "project" site,
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/, that could really use some work
--

* we have a "Community FAQ" page that is empty.
>From my perspective, we really need to DO something with this. Maybe inform
people about what it means that OpenOffice.org is now an Apache project
versus its own "project/entity" as it was in the past. Go into some
elaboration as to what it means to be an Apache "contributor" vs
"developer/committer" and what the differences are between the former
'joining" OpenOffice.org and what/how people can participate now.

* and, we now have TWO wikis -- the "planning wiki",
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/

-- and --

the original OOo wiki
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page

What's the difference? Why would I register for one over the other...

I dislike the fact that we don't seem to have a "single sign-on" for these
AND BZ, but I'll bring this up in a different thread.

Anyway, yes, please help in any way you can to illuminate these areas and
make them more useful to casual users. I think having two portals (web
sites) is really a good idea but how to get people on the right path.

I guess I should update "Help Wanted" with some of this issues.

> What we did before was also try to distinguish and list (before Moz
> did this, btw) things that were easier from those that demanded more
> skill and collaborative work.
>
> We don't have to do that here.
>
> -louis
>
> (invert Campbell: Bliss your followers.)

funny! :)

MzK

"Follow your bliss."
         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell