incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODE]: "Registration..." menu entry in the Help menu
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:35:29 GMT
Hi Nancy K --

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Nancy K <nancythirteen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to add that one of the reasons I have not jumped in to help,
> is that I do not know where my skills could best be applied.  I have the
> time, I have college training in PHP/mySQL, Javascript, web design AS
> degree - but have not used these in a year, so feel my tools of the trade
> slipping.  That is what I would get out of volunteering - pride of
> finishing a job, helping this project helps me at the same time.
>
> What I would like to see is a radio check box of skills (Xhtml, PHP, CSS,
> CSS3, etc) that would pop up a link to where those skills could best be
> used for starters.  This way I can jump in quicker - and then at a later
> time start branching into skill areas I have no experience in but want to
> try.
>
> Right now I am getting the emails from this list
> ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org and listening to descriptions of progress
> that I am not familiar. There is a lot of great information on your sites
> and I am eager to start somewhere - but poor Rob cannot be expected to
> answer everyone.

No "poor Rob" is not the only one who can or is even expected to answer all
questions. That responsibility falls on the "community" at large.

>  I think radio buttons or a site map for getting started - or something
> like a presentation of 'If you have these skills, we currently need your
> help (link)there'.

You are right -- we don't really have anything like this on the "Get
Involved" page, for example, and we need to.  I don't know if we'll
incorporate the "radio links" you suggest but please check back (say a week
from today) to

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/get-involved.html

and hopefully you'll see more specific direction/ideas for how to get
involved.

> Please let me know if this already exists - I have looked around the
> wiki's and development and web design areas and I really do like to
> organize information - if that is where I could help?

Do apply for a wiki account -- this is a very easy way to get involved --
and organize away! Yes, it's a bit daunting at first...but thanks for
stopping by and showing such interest!

Nancy

>      Nancy      Web Design
> Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.