incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next step: fonts
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 22:14:48 GMT
2012/1/19 Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org>

> FWIW, I am considering bringing the Linux Libertine
> fonts too: they are under dual OFL/GPL .
>
> http://www.linuxlibertine.org/
>
> Pedro.
>
> --- Mer 18/1/12, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> ha scritto:
>

> > --- Mer 18/1/12, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>
> > ha scritto:
> >
> > > Data: Mercoledì 18 gennaio 2012, 03:08
> > font
> > >
> > > Since they are metrically equivalent, can the font
> > > substitution table be updated with the same changes?
> > >
> > > I.e., it used to contain
> > > Times New Roman -> Liberation Serif
> > > (meaning: if Times New Roman is not available on the
> > > system, then use Liberation Serif in its place) and it
> > > should now contain something like
> > > Times New Roman -> Tinos
> > > Liberation Serif -> Tinos
> > > to allow best compatibility for those who don't have
> > the
> > > fonts installed.
> > >

> > I think so ... we won't carry Liberation fonts at all
> > so it makes sense to keep a consistent behavior.
> >
> > Pedro.
> >
> > ps. I became a little busy lately so I will leave this
> > for bit later .. please be patient ... or give a hand ;-).

What about the Graphite version?
http://numbertext.org/linux/
AOO cannot use opentype features, but have full support for Graphite
technology.
Linux Libertine G (and Biolinum G) includes lots of Graphite substitution
tables like automated ligature substitution, kerning, italic correction,
real small caps... the list of smart font features is just impressive (just
look at the Documentation.pdf on the site) so the "G" version is far more
useful on Writer than the opentype one.

Cheers
Ricardo