incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>
Subject Sopa
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 03:55:53 GMT
For many it's already 18 January, the day thousands if not millions of
websites will go dark in protest of the US legislation SOPA and PIPA,
which purport to fight piracy but as even casual analysis shows end up
doing a lot more censorious damage than claimed.

As Apache OpenOffice is part of Apache, and as we routinely work here,
regardless of time or day, holiday or not, I'm curious how we are
dealing with the protest.

I should hope that Apache would go dark for the 24 hours. Checking the
site now--it's 22:17 EST (-0500), I see no difference.

If it is the case then that Apache has chosen not to go dark--and
there may have been notice one way or another that I missed--then I
suppose it is up to individuals to follow their conscience. I presume
that this podling, as part of Apache, lacks the autonomy to darken its
own sub-website, should the consensus be in favour of it.

For individuals who do wish to respect the protest action, there is
some code one can use which I can share.

-louis