incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lsuarezpo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:12:42 GMT
Dennis,
Read over Don's post. He was using an analogy, I believe, to make a
point about SOPA.
Louis

On 18 January 2012 13:53, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> Don,
>
> What's your understanding of the connection between open-source encryption algorithms
and SOPA/PIPA?  Where is there more information available?

> Are you talking about the encryption methods themselves or the *use* of encryption in
support of piracy.  Those are different.

> With regard to encryption software at Apache, there are existing provisions by which
encryption in ASF releases are registered with the US Government.  The methods being provided
in open-source is part of what makes them permissible.

> Also, the *current* OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice releases incorporate open-source encryption
methods.  Apache OpenOffice developer snapshots do as well (though there may be some short-term
impact with the removal of dependencies on libraries whose licenses are incompatible with
ALv2).