incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 04:11:10 GMT
Sally,

On 18 January 2012 22:11, Sally Khudairi <sk@apache.org> wrote:
> Sorry, Louis -- not ignoring you; have been offsite for most of the day.

Actually, not a problem. I knew when I posted my first of several
messages late last night that it was way, way too late. But I had
waited for ASF to do something obvious on its own behalf, and when it
didn't--and when no one on the A OO list did, either--I thought at the
least I'd raise the issue, conscious of its belatedness; indeed, that
was part of the point, and I should hope that for the next time (and
there will be no end of next times) we can act before not after it's
too late.

> Usually we (ASF Marketing & Publicity) need more than same-day notice to
> coordinate such efforts.
>
> I know there's been discussion about this on the Membership side as well,
> but the consensus (thus far) is to not black out *.apache.org, as was
> suggested. No further action has been decided upon, IIRC.

Evidently.

> Let's also keep in mind that the ASF Infrastructure team need to be kept
> abreast of any decisions/proposals here as well, as they're the ones capable
> of pulling the trigger on the site.

I am conscious of these things. So. Let's imagine that I want to get
ASF to do something reflecting the will of at least one of its
podlings. As was pointed out, we here can put up a demonstration. But
how would I go about persuading the ASF directorate? And is there any
kind of apparatus (political, technical) that would even allow for the
entire domain to reflect a banner message? (I'd assume, yes, but one
never knows.)

Thanks
louis