incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: Sourceforge and extensions download site
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:13:03 GMT
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:
>
>> As some of you will know the board meeting got pushed back 6 days. It
>> was, however, held last night and I was able to attend. Consequently I
>> am pleased to confirm that we now have a go-ahead with respect to the
>> Sourceforge offer to host the extensions site. However, there is one
>> important restriction on what we can do, so I'll cover that first.
>>
>> There cannot be any advertising on a domain name owned by the ASF,
>> this includes openoffice.org.
>>
>> The board felt the most appropriate action would be to have users
>> directed to *.openoffice,org or *.apache.org where they will be
>> greeted by a page listing appropriate extensions sites with a
>> disclaimer. At a later date this would become the meta-data server. I
>> figured this would not be a problem as it is one of the options we
>> discussed.
>>
>> We did discuss whether this would break behaviour for older OOo
>> releases. If this is the case then it would be acceptable to provide a
>> redirect for appropriate URLs. This may need to be removed for at
>> graduation time, we didn't go into details about this as I felt it
>> would be acceptable to deprecate the old behaviour whilst in
>> incubation. Let me know if this is an incorrect assumption.
>>
>> I had some specific questions for the board, I copy them below but
>> please not these are my notes and not from the minutes. They have not
>> been approved yet, I'll let you know if I misunderstood anything.
>>
>> Can the PPMC accept SF's offer?
>> Yes
>>
>> MOU necessary? What should it cover?
>> PPMC to decide if necessary (with mentor guidance).
>> Since the long term plan is to move to a
>> PPMC owned meta-server it might make most sense to just let SF own
>> this extensions site and not be distracted by what they are doing (we
>> have trademarks policy to ensure they don't misbehave).
>>
>> Assuming trademarks are respected are we OK?
>> Yes (as long as no advertising on apache owned domain)
>>
>> Will this address IP issues since non-ASF code will be offsite
>> Probably (I believe this to be a yes, but allowing for edge cases)
>>
>> Advertising on the extensions download site?
>> OK as long as not an apache domain (incl. openoffice.org)
>>
>> Redirection preferred?
>> Yes (see no advertising requirement). Would be better to go via an
>> informational page on an openoffice.org or apache.org.
>>
>> So there you go. It's now over to the PPMC to get it moving. I'll
>> forward this mail to the infra team so that they can be ready to hand
>> over the keys to the current extensions site at an appropriate time.
>> Who is going to drive this?
>>
>> Ross
>>

>> --
>> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
>> Programme Leader (Open Development)
>> OpenDirective http://opendirective.com
>>

> Ross--
>
> Thanks for this update. Yes, Apache OpenOffice PPMC will need to spend some
> [...]

Hi all,

we look forward to start working on it as soon as possible, and we are
open to do what is necessary to make it (MoU, define how to handle ads
out of Apache domains, IP issues, etc).

Since we committed to deploy the Extension website in a short time, I
wonder if in the meantime we might get a copy of the Drupal
application and of the database of extensions to do our home work,
eventually providing you with all necessary warranties.

Roberto
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.