incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Galoppini <rgalopp...@geek.net>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:27:36 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 Roberto Galoppini wrote:
>>
>> 2012/1/4 Jürgen Schmidt:
>>
>>> We should keep in mind that for many extension developers it's probably
>>> ok
>>> to create a SF, GoogleCode or whatever project to host the extension code
>>> and the binary. But i believe that there are also many developers who
>>> simply
>>> want to put there macro collection in an extension container with the
>>> necessary meta data and want share it with others. Means they simply want
>>> upload it for broader availability without creating their own project or
>>> the
>>> necessity to have their own webspace for hosting the binary extension.
>>

>> The SourceForge proposed solution would support this in exactly the
>> way the current system does
>

> Perfect, and this addresses one of my few concerns with the (otherwise good,
> in my opinion) proposal from SourceForge. So it would possible to just
> upload an extension/template without turning it into a SF project.
>

>> First, what we're proposing in the short term is to migrate and
>> stabilize the current drupal instance using the sourceforge.net Secure
>> Project Web infrastructure.   This would give selected members of the
>> team SSH access to the server space where it's hosted, and full access
>> to both the code and database content.
>

> Sounds good. The stabilization phase can be done anywhere, but as Rob wrote
> if we cannot keep the current repository as part of the project anyway, it
> makes sense to do it as part of a larger effort.
>

>> Middle term we would love to work with you to have this site become
>> the center of a federated extensions community.
>

> Again nice, but here I have a few issues:
>
> 1) The proposed Drupal 5 to Drupal 7 migration would indeed yield, if done
> properly, a "template site" that can be installed anywhere with the same
> capabilities. Would it be possible to design it so that as a result we have
> a ready-to-deploy "extension repository" website, under a proper free
> license, that can be installed in several places? This has partly been
> covered in other parts of the thread, but the key point here is to design
> the site to be flexible from the beginning: for example, the current
> Templates sites was developed this way (i.e., you can reinstall it and get a
> new Templates site) but the current Extensions site wasn't (i.e., to
> reinstall it you need to copy over the whole extensions database too and
> then try and clean it up properly).

This design can certainly done, and SF.net will assist in the process,
but our imediate goal is to stabilize the infrastructure and restore
service to users.

We are by no means tied to Drupal, and would support whatever "second
generation platform" the community chooses.   In fact we have some
relevant federation code  in python, based on feeds with DOAP payloads
that we might be able to donate to the process.

> 2) For those preferring to use other tools than Drupal, the protocol should
> still allow others to build their repositories/catalogs with tools of their
> choice, but it would be good and helpful to provide the Drupal 7 site as
> "reference implementation" and document it properly.

This is an important point, and we totally agree.

> 3) The community would need free access to statistics. It is very important
> for us to know how extensions are downloaded and updated. The current
> statistics are not very reliable due to caching and the multiple attempts
> needed to download an extension. Would SourceForge be available to share
> download figures and other statistics with the community?

We have a solid Hadoop based, download statistics system for downloads
from the mirror network, and we always make those totals public. We
can also work with the AOO community to get customized statistics if
that's required.

Roberto

> Regards,
>  Andrea.
====
This e- mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential
and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system.
Thank you.