incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW] rebranding...
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:42:55 GMT

On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, we got to see the new logo and a bit of a discussion has ensued re the
>> now Apache hosted http://www.openoffice.org/ and the existing logo on that
>> site.
>>
>> My question concerns the extent of "future" rebranding.
>>

> Evolution-wise, at some point we'll have a logo without the
> "incubating" in it. Hopefully we can slow the pace of branding changes
> after that ;-)
>
>> yes, it's pretty easy to just change out the logo, but should anticipate
>> changing out ALL occurrences of OpenOffice.org to "Apache OpenOffice" as
>> well?
>>

> I would not do a batch search and replace of OpenOffice.org to Apache
> OpenOffice.
>
> A few considerations (these are my opinions only, of course):
>
> 1) Some places legitimately should be called OpenOffice.org, e.g.,
> references to legacy downloads, documentation for legacy releases,
> etc.   OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 did not magically become Apache OpenOffice
> 3.3.0.  It is still OpenOffice.org.
>
> 2) If we're discussing historical information, like the history of the
> project, then we would still use OpenOffice.org in that context, just
> as we still refer to "StarOffice".
>
> 3) I would not change something that is considered a "record", like a
> past communication or letter or email or press release, etc.  If
> something was an authorized communication of the project, we should
> respect the words it used at the time.
>
> 4) But in general, we want to be consistent in the new branding as
> "Apache OpenOffice".   It should be clear to a user that this is the
> branding and any other use should be a historical context.
>
> 5) It should be fine to refer to "Apache OpenOffice" initially on any
> given page and then unambiguously refer to "OpenOffice" for
> repetitions.  We don't need to use the full form over and over and
> over again on the same page.  But we should use the full form on the
> first occurrence on a page.
>
> 6) Maybe just start with the logo, the page footer and prominent other
> pages, e.g., the blog, top level navigation on the website, how to get
> involved, etc.  I don't see much value in "hunting" for millions of
> occurrences of "OpenOffice.org".  But maybe we can search for all
> <title> and <h1>'s that use that term?

I just put the new Apache OpenOffice incubating logo on the project blog, changing the project
name.

One possibility would be to make logo changes to the banner based on whether the information
is for a current release vs. information that is being updated for the project.

It would be possible to make the top logo choice at the folder level.

download and api might remain with the old logo until release.
why would remain legacy until it is updated.
NLC projects could all be changed over. We want them to come to us.

Do we want to pursue a pragmatic approach like that?

Regards,
Dave