incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: AOOo in Debian/Ubuntu (Was: Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:03:48 GMT
Hi,

Le 13 janv. 12 à 10:02, Bjoern Michaelsen a écrit :

> Hi Claudio,
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 06:46:26PM -0200, Claudio Filho wrote:
>> was more easy to migrate to LibO. Today, only René, a Debian
>> Developer, maintains the package there.
>
> Thats not true. I do work on that too as is Lionel Elie Mamane and
> sometimes Matthias Klose (for ARM). Rene is clearly the final judge
> on contributions and changes to LibreOffice packaging on Debian

That's true, Rene is free to create a NEW application, using
OpenOffice.org resources.

But so far, rename everything LibreOffice in the files concerning
OpenOffice.org is not fair. As I wrote, "apt-get install
openoffice.org" should lead to "no longer maintained", or something
like that, but NOT lead to "replaced by LibreOffice or whatever".

IMHO, the right decision could have been :

- clone openoffice.org source files (all the Debian bazaar , like
Control and so on files)
- create / declare libreoffice as a NEW application in Debian repos
- put openoffice.org in "unmaintained" or whatever similar status.

That's just a personal opinion, but I hope I was clear. If not
please  ask me and I'll reformulate.

> as he is doing an excellent job there.

Nobody told he didn't and nobody will contest. Since years Rene does
a great work for OpenOffice.org and now LibreOffice.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə