incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: suggested CMS workflows for ooo-site
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:46:23 GMT

On Jan 4, 2012, at 8:28 AM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Given that the size of ooo-site is around 9GB, there
> are some unique challenges here in dealing with the CMS.
> For the most part tho, the typical workflow of editing
> a few pages on the site, committing them, and publishing
> them can all be done reasonably effectively using the CMS
> website.
>
> OTOH, people who need to monkey with templates/** or lib/**
> files will trigger full site builds and their changes may
> materially impact every file on the site.  While I've now
> reduced the build time to around 4 minutes, the bottleneck
> now remains squarely in the time it takes svn to commit back
> those changes and to deal with merging those changes during
> publication requests.

Thanks for your improvements.

> In those circumstances I strongly advise you to use the
> publish.pl script on people.apache.org to review and if
> ok publish your changes.  This will eliminate the chances
> that your browser times out a direct publish request to the
> CMS site, which is a real hassle given that it takes ~15
> minutes for a largeish publish request to be processed.

I always use publish.pl when I use my sledgehammer ;-)

I usually test my changes with local build_site.pl or build_file.pl.

My observation is that the biggest bottleneck is more in the creation of the email reports.
Particularly after publish.pl returns.

> In the near future we will be upgrading svn to 1.7 on the CMS
> server which will bring in better performance along with
> full support for deletions via svn, but I don't expect the
> performance changes to significantly alter the workflow I'm
> recommending here.
>
> And please for the sake of others who want to work on minor
> changes to the site, don't make a sledgehammer type commit
> without following up with an eventual publish request, because
> publish requests are an all-or-nothing type deal.  That means
> a sledgehammer commit will cause unreasonable delays for people
> who are trying to publish minor changes to the site, until
> the person who did the sledgehammer commit follows thru and
> publishes everything.

I would recommend that larger template and skeleton changes with the whole ooo-site are done
locally and fully tested before committing to svn..

Do you have any recommendations for comparing a locally built site with current production
in order to understand how big a sledgehammer is being built?

Regards,
Dave