incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:18:29 GMT

On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> On 5 January 2012 13:57, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> 2012/1/5 J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>:
>>> On 1/5/12 12:12 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>> And the proposed index only solution is not satisfying for me because of the
>>> explained reasons (missing hosting of the binary extension packages or
>>> templates). But I would like to learn more about it and especially how it
>>> should be maintained, the frontend how users would register their extensions
>>
>> Let's take an example of the general pattern, with blogs.  ...  they all agree
>> on some basic standards:  HTML for the content, and RSS or Atom for
>> syndication.

>> So the model that I think is attractive for extensions and templates is:

>> 2) What we do specify are:
>>
>> a) The metadata related to extensions.

>> b) An encoding of the metadata, in XML.
>
> At the risk of diverting this thread too far from the goal of coming
> up with an overall plan for moving forwards short-medium-long term...
>
> Consider the RDF Description of a Project format. The ASF uses it for
> http://projects.apache.org That site is generated from a bunch of
> PERL, XSL and the like pulling content from wherever the projects want
> to host their DOAP descriptor and publishing a catalogue. It's not as
> feature rich as needed for AOO but it is a good proof of concept.
>
> For an intro to DOAP see http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/doap.xml
>
> Remember that there are a whole load of ASF projects dealing with RDF
> data, it's quite possible some of those will be keen to help us if
> this were a route we took.

There are tools for handling RDF in the Apache CMS. The bridge from a set of rdf files in
directories in svn to a website is short.

The extensions, templates and codesnippets ( a related third party relationship that we'll
also need to address ) can all be entries in a directory structure.

Regards,
Dave

Regards,
Dave