incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Question related derivative code based on our Apache licensed code
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:44:48 GMT
Hi,

Le 4 janv. 12 à 22:32, Joe Schaefer a écrit :

> I'm having a hard time following your English prose, but I'll take
> a stab at it...

Apologies, I'm not a native speaker, and I do my best. Sometimes, I
need hours to write simple mails :/

> So the situation you find yourself in is that you are making use of
> LGPL'd code (OOo 3.2.1), and in the interests of porting over
> OOo4Kids to Apache OpenOffice you need to take portions of that
> 3.2.1 codebase and commit it back to Apache's subversion repo?

Not exactly  :

I'd like to take files from Apache repo, and put them into the
OOo4Kids one.  This needs to adapt OOo4Kids to Apache tree (based on
DEV300_m106).

About possible backports:  I'd like to keep OOo4Kids under LGPL v3,
but I'm ok to reverse features considered as enough interesting to be
integrated into Apache OOo (I hope I'm clear)

At the begining, OOo4Kids (and OOoLight) are "toys" used as a lab, to
test Fun and new features with students, or simply to analyze
performance issues. The second idea was to reverse interesting code
into OOo.

> If so, the answer is that you can only commit back the changes to
> the original codebase that *you* made to it, assuming as you claim
> that the changes are significantly different from what's currently
> in our subversion repo.  You should not commit back code from OOo
> 3.2.1 that is not either your own work or significantly different
> from what's already in the subversion repo. (Sorry for the double
> negatives there).
>
> Does that answer your question?

I'm not sure (please read above)  :)

Regards,