incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [CODE]: "Registration..." menu entry in the Help menu
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 03:12:04 GMT
@Dennis, in line,

On 1/28/2012 18:41, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> @TJ
>
> Thanks for opening up some interesting aspects to think about
> concerning initial user experience and support for newcomers to AOO.
>
> One reaction: I see a big difference between configuring builds to
> have one more language-dependency and configuring a URL to sniff
> languages though.  The life-cycle and skills/karma required could be
> quite different.  What is a good way to invite broad participation in
> this area?

I don't see any need for a URL. I envision the Welcome doc as part of
the download.

> Also, I don't think the document should be put in a writable location
> if it is part of the install.

I tend to favor a writable location because it empowers the user. It
behooves us to remember that our software is a guest on the user's
hardware (programs that persistently forget this, on /my/ machine, tend
to end up in the bit-bucket). Also, every location is "writable" – just
some are easier than others.

However, considering the needs of multi-user central installations, I am
not unalterably opposed to an unalterable doc. We should merely mention
that users need to save any changed version to their own space.

> For writable documents, that seems to be something that is more
> appropriate for a sample or even part of an included mini-tutorial.
> It might then be better to identify them as templates so they will
> not over-write the initial file by default if modified and saved.
>
> Finally, as a means for feedback, encouraging exploration and
> contribution, wouldn't a link to a web/wiki page be better for that?

These are not mutually exclusive. We should have both.

> This is an interesting area.  I wonder how to avoid scope creep and
> deal with the registration menu entry in a way that works for now and
> that can be expanded into a broader "welcome/starter" link.  I know
> some first-run presentations tend to be sticky, with a way to stop it
> (and an indication on how to obtain it from the Help pull-down
> whenever it is to be revisited).  Is this a candidate for that sort
> of thing?

I'm trying to design out any avoidable maintenance headaches. I envision
a simple link to a page like the Mwiki documentation:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation
where we always have to update links for different versions, new stuff,
&c. If we ever have a good "getting started" tutorial, it should be
listed there. The link in the Welcome doc wouldn't change.

I also see the Help menu link ("Welcome") as a simple "open the
Welcome.odt doc" command, which also wouldn't change. --/tj/