incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: 18 Jan 2012: SOPA and PIPA Protest Banner
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:29:14 GMT

On 2012-01-18 11:11 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Sally,
>

> On 18 January 2012 22:11, Sally Khudairi<sk@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Sorry, Louis -- not ignoring you; have been offsite for most of the day.
>
> Actually, not a problem. I knew when I posted my first of several
> messages late last night that it was way, way too late. But I had
> waited for ASF to do something obvious on its own behalf, and when it
> didn't--and when no one on the A OO list did, either--I thought at the
> least I'd raise the issue, conscious of its belatedness; indeed, that
> was part of the point, and I should hope that for the next time (and
> there will be no end of next times) we can act before not after it's
> too late.
>

>> Usually we (ASF Marketing&  Publicity) need more than same-day notice to
>> coordinate such efforts.
>>
>> I know there's been discussion about this on the Membership side as well,
>> but the consensus (thus far) is to not black out *.apache.org, as was
>> suggested. No further action has been decided upon, IIRC.
>
> Evidently.
>

>> Let's also keep in mind that the ASF Infrastructure team need to be kept
>> abreast of any decisions/proposals here as well, as they're the ones capable
>> of pulling the trigger on the site.
>
> I am conscious of these things. So. Let's imagine that I want to get
> ASF to do something reflecting the will of at least one of its
> podlings. As was pointed out, we here can put up a demonstration. But
> how would I go about persuading the ASF directorate? And is there any
> kind of apparatus (political, technical) that would even allow for the
> entire domain to reflect a banner message? (I'd assume, yes, but one
> never knows.)

By "ASF directorate" do you mean the board?  8-)  In terms of politics,
I think you'll find the ASF Membership generally stays out of politics,
at least in terms of official ASF messages (although many Members
certainly have their own strongly held and blogged views!).  In terms of
technology, the infra team can provide advice and implement all sorts of
cool things on the website if necessary.

The list of ASF officers is public:
   http://www.apache.org/foundation/

And this is a somewhat helpful overview of corporate structure:
   http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#structure

For this kind of question, it's really first up to a sufficient group of
ASF Members who also volunteer to help do the work of publishing any
theoretical apache.org top level website message.  Depending on the
situation, we'd certainly ask press@ for advice on how to make the
message most effective.  And any official statement would either be
voted on by the board@, or would be signed by a specific ASF officer,
depending on what topic it's on.

But historically we've shown that the ASF tends to take official
positions rarely, and only about fundamental issues that are likely to
affect all of our projects.  My general impression of the Membership is
that we don't want to be an advocacy group: we merely want to provide a
good home for like-minded projects who choose to come here.

Individual projects are obviously allowed to manage their own websites
as they wish, as long as they respect ASF policy and don't cross the
line into types of lobbying that we're not allowed to do (for our
particular kind of non-profit status in the US).

- Shane