incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL (was Re: Category-B tarballs in SVN )
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:22:15 GMT
On 16.01.2012 12:07, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 15 January 2012 03:29, Rob Weir<robweir@apache.org>  wrote:
[...]
>> Putting extra verbiage in the SVN tree that is not included in the
>> releases -- I don't see the point.  Is this to protect casual browsers
>> of our SVN tree?
>
> For me the point is not about casual browers it is about developers
> like me who don't download source tars but instead checkout from SVN.
> We can't assume that all such developers will understand the nuances
> of license compatibility or even bother to check.

Maybe the ability of SVN to include/reference an external SVN repository
from another SVN repository can help (see [1]).

We could put the cat B tar-balls into an SVN repo, that is or is not
located on an Apache Server, and reference that repo from our OpenOffice
repository.

The developer, who checks out the source code, can then decide whether
to automatically checkout the cat B tar-balls together with the rest of
the code or to just check out the OpenOffice source.

One downside of this approach is the wrong default behavior on checkout:
the command "svn checkout" checks out all referenced external
repositories.  In order to not include the cat B tar balls you have to
add the "--ignore-externals" option.  But with a little bit of
documentation and by adding this option to the Source Control wiki page
[2] that is maybe OK.

-Andre

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/source.html