incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Category-B tarballs in SVN (was Re: External libraries)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:09:13 GMT

On 13.01.2012 15:59, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> --- Ven 13/1/12, Ross Gardler<rgardler@opendirective.com>  ha scritto:
>>
>> Can someone please explain why it is necessary to have the
>> code here
>> at all? Why is it not pulled from the upstream project?
>>

> It is there only for convenience: to make it easier to fetch
> and maintain.

Agreed.

> I think it's pretty clear we don't strictly need it under
> version control. At SUN/Oracle it was kept in another
> repository.

Yes, in fact there are technical reasons for not putting it under SVN:
- its mostly binary code for which SVN can not provide diffs
- it does not change very frequently
- if it does we do not need the old versions any more.

But, as I have read many times now, it does not matter much where the
tar balls are placed, as long as it is an Apache Server.
As long as that is true I opt for the convenience of putting them into
ext_sources/

-Andre