incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: AOOo in Debian/Ubuntu (Was: Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:54:27 GMT
Hi,

On 13.01.2012 14:25, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> Hi Claudio,
>
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:46:05AM -0200, Claudio Filho wrote:
>> Absolutely! I agree with you that René doing an excellent work and he
>> knows all inside the OOo/LibO packaging process!
>
> Great to see we agree there!
>
>> What i (try) say is that we have a small number of people envolved in
>> this process. As you said, are 3 people for a *big* project. Think
>> this 3 people looking *two* bigs projects. IMO, I can't see how.
>
> The "small number of people involved" are not really the problem. The core
> issue is how bad OpenOffice.org historically was prepared for releases on *nix
> platforms, requiring huge amounts of fragile workarounds. At LibreOffice a lot
> of this stuff has already been simplifed upstream, there has been good
> (invisible to the enduser) progress here.

That is good to hear, maybe we can learn from that improvement.

> The only reason packaging of
> OpenOffice.org was sustainable with the given resources for OpenOffice.org was
> because of the slow developement velocity and longwinding release cycles.

I can accept "longwinding release cycles" but not "slow developement
velocity".  After all Sun/Oracle has been the biggest contributor for
OpenOffice.  LibreOffice is still integrating features made by
Sun/Oracle (it has just been a month or two since my new Impress slide
sorter turned up in LibreOffice.)

> Given the progress at LibreOffice, I think the motivation to go back to the
> messy, wasteful and fragile release process of OpenOffice.org (which is where
> AOOoI is currently at) is very limited for all current participants (who are
> all involved in some way in upstream LibreOffice development btw).

You are right that our old release process was not the best.  Still, I
would choose friendlier words.
At Apache OpenOffice we are working to improve on that.  Any help from
LibreOffice is welcome.

>> if I maintain a package and its project forked in two, i should choice
>> one branch too. I think that is impossible maintain two enormous
>> packages like AOOo and LibO.
>
> Given that LibreOffice is actively maintained, that OpenOffice.org is dead and
> Apache OpenOffice (Incubating) has not even released yet, I think there is an
> obvious conclusion from your statements.

Well, no.  After all, OpenOffice.org is not dead.  It just got a new home.

Regards,
Andre