incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: R: NOTICE, LICENSE, README etc.
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:40:07 GMT
On 1/9/12 5:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Hi Jurgen;
>
> --- Lun 9/1/12, Jürgen Schmidt<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>  ha scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to get an overview about the current state in an
>> installed office and the process of generating localized
>> LICENSE files, README and how the
>> THIRSPARTYLICENSEREADME.html comes into the game...
>>
>> Current situation on a
>>
>> MacOS system
>> ============
>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE
>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE.hmtl
>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README
>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README.html
>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/basis-link/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>
>> Window system
>> =============
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.html
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.txt
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.html
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.txt
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.html
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.txt
>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>
>> readme files are always the same, readme.[txt|html] =
>> readme.[txt|html]
>>
>> Linux System
>> ============
>> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE
>> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE.hmtl
>> /org/openoffice.org/README
>> /org/openoffice.org/README.html
>> /org/openoffice.org/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>

>> The input for these files comes from the
>> main/readlicense_oo module
>>
>> LICENSE
>> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.html
>> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.txt
>> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.rtf
>>
>> README
>> readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm
>>
>> the "plattform" specific README will be generated out of
>> the readme.xrm file . Well don't ask why it is done this
>> way. It looks quite complicate ...
>>
>> THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
>> readlicense_oo/html/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>

>> I can't really find any information on [1] if we need
>> localized versions of the LICENSE, NOTICE, README files.
>>

> While this can be done, the English version
> of the LICENSE must always be available.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Translation
ok

In case of a multilingual build (e.g en-US, de) I have both LICENSE and
README files. I have to check if i have for example de only.

But anyway we would need a translation of the LICENSE.

>> 4. THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl has to be merged into
>> NOTICE (or already had)
>>

> I did some partial merges and I stripped the GPL'd stuff
> from the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl, but I it was meant
> only for reference and I was not strict enough: there is
> surely some stuff (Bitstream Vera fonts and Xalan at least)
> that we don't use. Would it be difficult to rename that file
> NOTICE.html and scratch it into the exact NOTICE file in html
> format?
not sure if understand you correct. You mean renaming
THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl to NOTICE.html and use the same content (in
html notation) as in the current NOTICE file?

Well renaming is probably no problem. Or we can use the NOTICE file as
it is directly. I can see no problem here right now but maybe I have
overseen something.

Juergen