incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject NOTICE, LICENSE, README etc.
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:58:05 GMT
Hi,

I tried to get an overview about the current state in an installed
office and the process of generating localized LICENSE files, README and
how the THIRSPARTYLICENSEREADME.html comes into the game...

Current situation on a

MacOS system
============
OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE
OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE.hmtl
OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README
OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README.html
OpenOffice.org.app/Content/basis-link/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html

Window system
=============
.../OpenOffice.org 3/license.html
.../OpenOffice.org 3/license.txt
.../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.html
.../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.txt
.../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.html
.../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.txt
.../OpenOffice.org 3/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html

readme files are always the same, readme.[txt|html] = readme.[txt|html]

Linux System
============
/org/openoffice.org/LICENSE
/org/openoffice.org/LICENSE.hmtl
/org/openoffice.org/README
/org/openoffice.org/README.html
/org/openoffice.org/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html

The input for these files comes from the main/readlicense_oo module

LICENSE
readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.html
readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.txt
readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.rtf

README
readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm

the "plattform" specific README will be generated out of the readme.xrm
file . Well don't ask why it is done this way. It looks quite complicate

THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
readlicense_oo/html/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html

I can't really find any information on [1] if we need localized versions
of the LICENSE, NOTICE, README files.

The whole process in the office is a little bit more complex today and
it raised some questions for me.

1. Do we want to keep localized versions of these files, or do we need
them?

2. Should we simply create one README for all or one for each plattform
and should check in this directly?

3. is related to the existing LICENSE [2] file in our source main
directory. In line 190 we have
###
Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]
###

How does it have to be for a release? I assume something like
###
Copyright 2011 Apache Software Foundation
###

4. THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl has to be merged into NOTICE (or already
had)

Juergen

[1]: incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
[2]:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/LICENSE?view=markup