incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: /usr/bin/openoffice.org
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 12:04:02 GMT
On 1/6/12 12:43 PM, eric b wrote:
> Hi Jürgen,
>

> Le 6 janv. 12 à 12:18, Jürgen Schmidt a écrit :
>
>> On 1/6/12 11:54 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> Ah, found another one:
>>>
>>> Synaptic on Ubuntu 11.10 has a package "openoffice.org" which installs
>>> LibreOffice. It is not installed by default (the "libreoffice" package
>>> is) and also provides the 'explanation'
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> This is a transitional package, replacing the OpenOffice.org packaging
>>> with the LibreOffice packaging.
>>>
>>> It can be safely removed after an upgrade.
>>> </quote>
>>>
>>> but still, is this OK?
>>
>> it sounds strange and not really ok for me.
>

> Same for me.
>

>> First they could still support older versions of OOo and second we
>> would probably like to reserve this package name for an upgrade to AOO
>> if possible at a later time.
>>
>> I hope we can find some support for this later. But using the name and
>> installing something different is of course confusing and misleading,
>> isn't it?
>>

> I'm complaining about that since several month (e.g. on this list 23
> november 11h19). Glad to see I'm not the only one now.

I would assume that hey have done it without a hidden agenda and thought
it would be ok ;-)

I don't want or better I don't think that it make sense if we make a big
issue out of this.

I think we want have a good relation to them and we should potentially
send a friendly reminder that we see a problem here.

As a user I would expect that I get the latest OOo 3.3 version. And in
the future we would like to use it to get an AOO with some explanation.

Any other opinions?

Juergen