incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Extensions hosting
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:32:26 GMT
On 1/5/12 12:12 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> As a separate point in this thread I should also point out that the
> ASF has some experience of dealing with off-site repository providers.
> Not all of it good. Most of the problems have been a result of lack of
> planning and lack of adequate protection of the trademarks involved.
>
> All those cases (to my knowledge) have now reached satisfactory
> states. I imagine the Board will be keen to see that The PPMC has
> considered the kinds of terms that will be offered to third party
> sites with respect to trademark usage. My recommendation would be to
> simply state that no use beyond those approved by existing ASF policy
> will be required.
>
> I also suggest that if the PPMC wants to take Sourceforge up on the
> offer that it is made clear to all parties that this will not be the
> "official" AOO extensions repository. Only the ASF will host official
> Apache services. However, this does not mean that the AOO site and
> product cannot link out to an SF provided repository.
>
> Remember also that the ASF cannot do anything that benefits a single
> organisation more than any other. Therefore, any agreement with
> Sourceforge cannot be exclusive. There must be opportunities for
> others to offer similar services if they want to put the effort into
> doing so.

I think that is fair enough. I see it in the way that SF comes first to
offer their help and help us to solve a problem with general hosting of
GPL, LGPL etc. extensions that we can't host in an official ASF repo. We
can probably rename it and find a way to make clear that it is a
supported repo but not the official one (long term when we an official
ASF repo).

And the proposed index only solution is not satisfying for me because of
the explained reasons (missing hosting of the binary extension packages
or templates). But I would like to learn more about it and especially
how it should be maintained, the frontend how users would register their
extensions ...

I haven't seen a long term solution that would solve our problem for
graduation. How do we want address for example a template repo with
hosting capabilites for templates?

We can use the existing implementation of the repos (extensions and
templates) and can remove all content and allow ALv2 licensed stuff
only. But then we have again to answer the question of hosting binaries
or templates. Do we want support it, do we have the resources (storage,
bandwidth)?

As we have discussed earlier it is fine to have several repos and one
official ASF repo. Support of multiple repos (not yet implemented) that
are configurable in the office. Especially when we think of internal
repos in a closed enterprise environment...

If it won't work with SF we can revert it. For me it seems at least
worse a try because we have limited resources anyway, still enough to do
and any kind of help is welcome, or not?

It's again a situation where the existing solution doesn't fit well in
Apache because of allowing copyleft licensed stuff as well. But it is
somewhat important for the overall eco-system. I hope we can find a
satisfying solution and i think multiple repos can be a solution.

Juergen