incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <>
Subject Re: [WWW] rebranding...
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:47:04 GMT
On 1/3/2012 4:03 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>> I just put the new Apache OpenOffice incubating logo on the project blog, changing
the project name.
>>> One possibility would be to make logo changes to the banner based on whether
the information is for a current release vs. information that is being updated for the project.
>>> It would be possible to make the top logo choice at the folder level.
>> I'd avoid that approach.  The logo that is on every page is part of
>> the site branding.  It is like the footer.  It is an attribute of the
>> site, not the specific page.
>> Things that appear in the body of the page, between the header and
>> footer banner, there we might have some good reasons to refer to
>>, and maybe even show the old logo.  But the site and
>> the project are Apache OpenOffice.  There should never be an occasion
>> for removing the site branding from a page.
>> Remember, someone could visit a page from an external URL reference.
>> When they are dropped onto a page it should be obvious to them that
>> this is the Apache OpenOffice project.  It might also be obvious to
>> them that they are viewing documentation for, but we
>> should not need to drop the AOO branding in order for this to work.
>>> download and api might remain with the old logo until release.
>>> why would remain legacy until it is updated.
>>> NLC projects could all be changed over. We want them to come to us.
>>> Do we want to pursue a pragmatic approach like that?
>> Consistency on site branding is pragmatic, IMHO.
> My concern is users going to and thinking that they are downloading
Apache OpenOffice when they are downloading
Aren't these different versions of the same thing?
> I am also concerned that when they look at API docs on for the legacy
codebase they don't think they are looking at the API for Apache OpenOffice.
Aren't these different versions of the same thing?
> The logo at the top is going to be subliminally the wrong message. It's a subtle point.
This is why I think we should wait to change the logo until we are offering an Apache OpenOffice
download from is the website for the OpenOffice family of products.
The current name is Apache OpenOffice.  (Other products that are
mentioned/covered on the site include StarOffice, Oracle Open Office,
LibreOffice, and OOo4Kids)

so the way to go forward (obviously - my opinion) is:

  * when discussing the web site
  * when discussing version 1.0 - 3.3 of the product
  * Apache OpenOffice as the general product name (and for 3.4 and forward)
  * Apache OpenOffice  (with 'incubating' for the time being) as the
    project name

thus - we would use the Apache OpenOffice logo at the top of all pages

> Regards,
> Dave
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave