incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:40:17 GMT

On 2012-01-04 9:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:03 AM, eric b<eric.bachard@free.fr>  wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Le 4 janv. 12 à 02:24, Rob Weir a écrit :
>>

>>> Note that this does not become your product's name.  It is a logo, like
>>> "Intel Inside", that can be used by 3rd party products that include or are
>>> based on an Apache product.
>>

>> This point is ESSENTIAL, and imho, only official Apache OpenOffice.org
>> websites should use the logo.
>>
>> Though, if 3rd party product want to mention they are based on Apache
>> product, then they can write it, and why not, add the apache logo. But not
>> the OpenOffice.org one.
>>

> I'm not sure we're authorized (as a project) to permit use of the
> Apache logo.  I suspect not.  But we are able to create a "powered by
> logo" that is distinct from the "product" logo, for 3rd party products
> to use.  The idea is to avoid diluting the value of the core product
> logo, but still allow 3rd party apps to express their use of the code,
> and for them to help us raise awareness of the brand.
>
> Think of it this way:  Did the "Intel Inside" program help or hurt
> Intel and the value of their brand?  I don't think it hurt them.
...snip...

The whole point of "Powered By" is that we allow broad and simple useage
of a *related* logo to third parties under certain conditions, but we
reserve rights to the official primary project logo to ourselves.

This ensures that when people see the official primary logo, they are
thinking of Apache OpenOffice provided by the ASF.  And when they see
the "Powered By AOO" or similar logo, they'll think of Apache
OpenOffice, and know that it's a related product, but is not Apache
OpenOffice (just based on).

Note that "Powered By" is only a suggested separator phrase, trademarks@
is happy to review requests for other naming styles.  "Based On", "Built
With", etc. might be potentially good alternatives.

- Shane