incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Question related derivative code based on our Apache licensed code
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:59:14 GMT
On 1/4/12 1:08 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
> My personal opinions on this, naturally:
>
> On 4 Jan 2012, at 11:35, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
>> In detail if a derivative project merge our now Apache licensed code with their code
that was based on the former Oracle licensed LGPL code. This code becomes automatically Apache
licensed, correct?

> Probably not, no. The existing LGPLv3 licensed code remains LGPLv3 licensed, and as a
requirement of the LGPLv3 the new code added to it has to be made available under the LGPLv3
as well. As a consequence, the resulting modified work will be licensed under LGPLv3. The
Apache code that was added remains under the Apache license too (which is OK since there is
no conflict between the terms of the AL and LGPLv3).

are you sure? For me this special situation seems to be a little bit
different. Either you go forward with the old code and the old license
header and can't merge to the new code. Or you move forward with the new
one and keep the new license headers and put your change on a different
license. Where you would make the difference which code is from which
code base. For me it sounds practical impossible because the many
thousand files with more or less the same code.

It is really a special situation, isn't it. It would be interesting to
hear what a lawyer things about it.

Juergen