incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Question related derivative code based on our Apache licensed code
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 11:35:38 GMT
Hi,

over the last days i was asking myself how it is exactly with code that
is based on our Apache licensed code.

Well i have read the Apache license but the practical relevance is not
clear for me.

In detail if a derivative project merge our now Apache licensed code
with their code that was based on the former Oracle licensed LGPL code.
This code becomes automatically Apache licensed, correct?
If yes, does it mean that we can use the changes on this code in our
code as well if it is publicly available?

Ok the license say that it is possible to put an additional license on
all changes made on the code when you mark all changes in an appropriate
way. How is that possible or done in practize with many minor changes
(e.g. improve the performance of an existing loop, or initialize
existing variables etc.)? And which license is valid if a trivial change
is made in our (the original) source in the same way, e.g. initialize a
local variable to prevent a warning?

Anyway it seems that the new changed code becomes derivative work
because the Apache license can't be removed.

I hope my question or thoughts are not too stupid and that somebody know
the answer ;-)

Juergen

PS. we talk about thousands of files, many changes and a lot of stupid
necessary work (marking all changes appropriately)