incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [BUILD] Linux buildboot set up and configure switches
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:29:34 GMT
> Hi there,
>
> now the buildboot's builds are configured with the following switches:
>
> --with-jdk-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
> --with-system-python
> --enable-verbose
> --with-package-format=deb
> --with-build-version=2012-01-02
>

> IMO those switches have the following drawbacks:
>
> * system python should not be used. A universal Linux build should have
>    internal python instead
>
> * package format should also include RPM packages
>
> * builds should include category B
>
> * the build boot should also build the extensions (AFAIK only the
>    Presenter Console, the Presentation Minimizer and the Wiki Publisher
>    are buildable after the ip clearance)
>

> So I'd propose to use the following switches:
>
> ./configure   \
> --with-build-version="$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S (%a, %d %b %Y)") - Rev. $(echo $(svn
info) | sed -e 's/^.*Last Changed Rev: //g' -e 's/ .*//g')" \
> --enable-verbose \
> --enable-category-b \
> --enable-minimizer  \
> --enable-presenter-console  \
> --enable-wiki-publisher  \
> --enable-opengl  \
> --enable-dbus  \
> --enable-gstreamer \
> --with-package-format="installed rpm deb"
>

> The first switch
> --with-build-version="$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S (%a, %d %b %Y)") - Rev. $(echo $(svn
info) | sed -e 's/^.*Last Changed Rev: //g' -e 's/ .*//g')"
> will produce a string in the About Dialog like this:
>
> 2012-01-02 17:20:41 (Mon, 02 Jan 2012) - Rev. 1226336
>
> Adding date-time and revision info to the dialog is IMO a good idea.
>

> The following switches
> --enable-category-b
> --enable-opengl
> --enable-dbus
> --enable-gstreamer
> provide the basic a Linux AOO user could expect (OpenGL transitions,
> GStreamer AVMedia plugin, all category B features).
>

> The following switches
> --enable-minimizer  \
> --enable-presenter-console  \
> --enable-wiki-publisher  \
> enable the three extensions.
>

> Finally, the buildboot should be update to use EPM 3.7 patched with
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/epm/epm-3.7.patch?revision=1162288&view=co
> to produce packages installable on Debian.

it makes indeed sense to build epm not every time but we don't have to
replace the system epm. Instead we can put a patched version somewhere
on the build bot and can use

--with-epm=<path_to_patched_epm>

(we should change the configure switch to --with-epm-path to be more
consistent)

The same is true for dmake, don't know how it is find today on the build
bot.

--with-dmake-path=<path_to_dmake>

Everything else makes a lot of sense to me and we should use this
configuration on the build bots for the binary builds.

Maybe we should have a second configuration without any switches and
running the RAT scans and produce our source releases which we have to
provide.

Juergen