incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:57:12 GMT
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 09:45:01PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> I doubt this is going to happen. linux distros have switched to LO, and
>>> I guess Canonical, RedHat, Suse, ..., have interest in building a brand,
>>> so you cannot expect their interest in supporting packaging and distributing
>>> AOO; in conclusion, AOO relies on a "universal" Linux package.
>>
>> I expect that some Linux-based distributions will continue shipping
>> LibreOffice by default (or what they call LibreOffice; in most cases
>> this was simply a name change, since they were actually distributing
>> ooo-build, closer to LibreOffice than to OpenOffice.org but
>> different from both, under the name "OpenOffice.org" and later under
>> the name "LibreOffice"; I think they are progressively aligning with
>> LibreOffice now, which is good since users were often confused by
>> customizations).
>>
>> But there is no reason to think that Apache OpenOffice will be kept
>> out of the official repositories; most distributions already offer a
>> dozen browsers and half a dozen office programs, so it is surely
>> possible to get Apache OpenOffice in the most common distributions.
>
> packaging a browser cannot be compared to packaging AOO. What I meant is
> that you can not expect RedHat, Canonical, Suse, etc to pay resources to
> package AOO. I guess (= I never packaged OOo myself, thought I have
> packaged some trivial stuff for Fedora) packaging AOO will require
> a very experienced packager.

you are right and the only chance I see is that users ask for it. To
make this happen we have to deliver a good product that users want and
that they would prefer over a pre-installed LibreOffice. Especially when
it comes to commercial usage in companies this can be a key factor to
convince the distros to provide AOO as well.

Juergen