incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Gress <pgr...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [BUILD] New unofficial, untested and unstable "Developer Snapshots" builds (rev. 1226179)
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 01:21:23 GMT
Hi Ariel,

Thanks for the response.  See below.

On 01/ 2/12 07:44 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> There are no Developer Snapshot for Solaris, and you're right, the en-US
> install set is missing. I CC here L'oiseau de mer, who kindly
> contributed the Solaris builds.

Thanks for CC'ing him.  If I could find time, I would take a shot a compiling a Solaris version,
but my chances are slim, as I not a developer, but a Mechanical Engineer and putting in 13
hour days recently, including working weekends.  I appreciate L'oiseau de mer contribution
for Solaris, I'm glad somebody took the effort.  At some time in the future I'm sure I can
contribute some how, if at least testing development releases.

>> Is there another location for English versions?
> No, there isn't.

Thanks

>> Why couldn't all
>> versions be on the one download page as was provided when Sun/Oracle
>> provided downloads?
> These are not official builds, but community contributed. Right now
> Apache OpenOffice has only a buildboot building Linux x86-64 DEB
> packages. When all build machines are set up, there will be official
> version for all supported platforms.

This sounds very encouraging.  Official builds for all platforms.

> On the other hand, I didn't place all packages on the same page and
> linked them instead because:
>
> * my internet provider gives very low upload bandwidth (0.68 Mb/s,
>    compared to the 12.30 Mb/s upload bandwidth), uploading the builds
>    I built myself took me 5 hours
>
> * including the Solaris and Mac OS X packages in the download tables on
>    that page would be rather confusing, because all my builds are Developer
>    Snapshots based on the same revision, Solaris builds my be of the same
>    or a close revision, but are not dev builds; and Mac OS X builds are
>    older and no dev builds either.

Well, I've waited over a year now for some updated release, I suppose I can wait longer.

Keep up the good work,

Paul