incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:45:01 GMT
Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:32:10AM +0100, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Normally the office would come via the distro and would have been build for
>> the distro and the specific versions of the system libraries. This is much
>> easier and i hope we can achieve this state in the future...
> I doubt this is going to happen. linux distros have switched to LO, and
> I guess Canonical, RedHat, Suse, ..., have interest in building a brand,
> so you cannot expect their interest in supporting packaging and distributing
> AOO; in conclusion, AOO relies on a "universal" Linux package.

I expect that some Linux-based distributions will continue shipping
LibreOffice by default (or what they call LibreOffice; in most cases
this was simply a name change, since they were actually distributing
ooo-build, closer to LibreOffice than to OpenOffice.org but different
from both, under the name "OpenOffice.org" and later under the name
"LibreOffice"; I think they are progressively aligning with LibreOffice
now, which is good since users were often confused by customizations).

But there is no reason to think that Apache OpenOffice will be kept out
of the official repositories; most distributions already offer a dozen
browsers and half a dozen office programs, so it is surely possible to
get Apache OpenOffice in the most common distributions.

Regards,
   Andrea.