incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: draft - Website migration(+) announcement - draft
Date Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:48:06 GMT
Hi,

On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> There are, of course, some cautious folks who still see their incoming mail as
> plaintext regardless of how it is sent.  It matters, in that case, that the
> plaintext rendering be sufficient for the links to the full, formatted content
> to be seen and followed at the option of the recipient.  The plaintext should
> also be a reasonable representation.
>
> I think a good compromise would be for the announcement to provide an abstract
> in the case when the full text is substantial, with appropriate links.  And in
> that case, a plaintext-only form would be ideal, with a link to a web version.
> The web version can be internationalized in many ways, including via browser
> language detection as well as user selection.
>
> This musing has me think that
>
> 1.There should always be a web-location permalink (whether project blog or
> elsewhere)

I think it should be flexible - a choice between the blog and a podling page.

We should have a news directory - http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/news/ then each
announcement page is "annouce-YYYYMMDD.mdtext" and non-English versions are probably "announce-YYYYMMDD.LANG.mdtext".
If we do this the url in the email needs to be "http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/news/announce-YYYYMMDD"
and the apache web servers will negotiate the best page for the user.

We can use staging to build announcements and co-ordinate publishing the site.

> 2. The announcement list should only carry plaintext messages with suitable
> links for archival web location, extended content, other-language versions,
> etc.

The more concise the announcement message is, the more likely it will be shared via social
media.

Regards,
Dave