incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: R: NOTICE, LICENSE, README etc.
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:46:18 GMT

On Jan 9, 2012, at 8:40 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:

> On 1/9/12 5:26 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Hi Jurgen;
>>
>> --- Lun 9/1/12, Jürgen Schmidt<jogischmidt@googlemail.com>  ha scritto:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to get an overview about the current state in an
>>> installed office and the process of generating localized
>>> LICENSE files, README and how the
>>> THIRSPARTYLICENSEREADME.html comes into the game...
>>>
>>> Current situation on a
>>>
>>> MacOS system
>>> ============
>>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE
>>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE.hmtl
>>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README
>>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README.html
>>> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/basis-link/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>>
>>> Window system
>>> =============
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.html
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.txt
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.html
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.txt
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.html
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.txt
>>> .../OpenOffice.org 3/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>>
>>> readme files are always the same, readme.[txt|html] =
>>> readme.[txt|html]
>>>
>>> Linux System
>>> ============
>>> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE
>>> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE.hmtl
>>> /org/openoffice.org/README
>>> /org/openoffice.org/README.html
>>> /org/openoffice.org/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>>

>>> The input for these files comes from the
>>> main/readlicense_oo module
>>>
>>> LICENSE
>>> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.html
>>> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.txt
>>> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.rtf
>>>
>>> README
>>> readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm
>>>
>>> the "plattform" specific README will be generated out of
>>> the readme.xrm file . Well don't ask why it is done this
>>> way. It looks quite complicate ...
>>>
>>> THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
>>> readlicense_oo/html/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>>>

>>> I can't really find any information on [1] if we need
>>> localized versions of the LICENSE, NOTICE, README files.
>>>

>> While this can be done, the English version
>> of the LICENSE must always be available.
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Translation
> ok
>
> In case of a multilingual build (e.g en-US, de) I have both LICENSE and README files.
I have to check if i have for example de only.

> But anyway we would need a translation of the LICENSE.

Please see this FAQ. [1] The English language version must always be included - it is the
authoritative version.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Translation

>>> 4. THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl has to be merged into
>>> NOTICE (or already had)
>>>

>> I did some partial merges and I stripped the GPL'd stuff
>> from the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl, but I it was meant
>> only for reference and I was not strict enough: there is
>> surely some stuff (Bitstream Vera fonts and Xalan at least)
>> that we don't use. Would it be difficult to rename that file
>> NOTICE.html and scratch it into the exact NOTICE file in html
>> format?
> not sure if understand you correct. You mean renaming THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl to
NOTICE.html and use the same content (in html notation) as in the current NOTICE file?

> Well renaming is probably no problem. Or we can use the NOTICE file as it is directly.
I can see no problem here right now but maybe I have overseen something.