incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CODE] update services
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:05:54 GMT
Hi Andrea, Regina, *,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:05:13AM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 27/01/2012 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >the information must be out there, we just have to research, and study
> >the code. An example searching the wiki:
> >http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
> >IMO we are far from being out of luck :)
>
> We've already discussed that page, but at first glance it seems the
> specification of a further version of the update protocol, and I'm
> not sure it was ever implemented.

this is actually implemented.
I pointed OOO320m18 (Build:9502) to
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.feed

and I got
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/update_success.png
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/update_download.png

> However, what the service does is merely serving a "Yes" (updates
> available) or "No", so, as elaborate as it can be, it shouldn't be
> impossible to replicate it in a way that always answers "No" until
> Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is out and always answers "Yes" when Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 is available (Apache OpenOffice 3.4 can point to
> another URL, so it won't happen that people already using Apache
> OpenOffice 3.4 get erroneous messages about available updates).

a dummy
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
will indicate every OOo version that it is up-to-date (we may not want
this - an OOo 3.2 will not be seen as un update to an OOo 3.1, for
example).

Unfortunately I cannot test how this is implemented because the feature
depends on functionality removed in the IP clearance (libneon), and
I don't have a pre-ip-clearance build to test.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina