incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Bjoern Michaelsen <bjoern.michael...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: Question related derivative code based on our Apache licensed code
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 01:10:57 GMT
Hi Rob,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 07:07:03PM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> That "mutual respect" argument can take you in strange places.  For
> example, if a LibreOffice contributor modifies a file that was
> originally authored by someone who is now an Apache OpenOffice
> contributor, then shouldn't they put that file under ALv2, in order to
> "respect the wishes of contributors caring about the license"?

You mean like for example Oracle changing its mind and not only relicensing
their own contributions, but also past contributions of others without even
consulting these authors should force everyone to follow suit(*)? No,
fortunately the beauty of a license -- intentionally chosen by the author at
the time -- is that it gives you the freedom _not_ to be forced to do so
because the rights once given cant be revoked and thus the license is a source
of security and sustainability for everyone.

Best,

Bjoern

(*) Or as asked so eloquently elsewhere:
"And Oracle's private conversations, and their decisions regarding OOo contrary
to the community, were somehow acceptable?"
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201201.mbox/%3CCABD8fLWRDfcABcwyKOsVBpWagkQPoihzkn=DY13U=3bKjPZekw@mail.gmail.com%3E