incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java 7 and Apache OpenOffice
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 00:46:15 GMT
Hi there,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 09:36:34AM +0100, O.Felka wrote:
> >>I'm using this Office
> >>http://people.apache.org/~orw/DevSnapshots-Rev.1229535/win32/OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_Win_x86_install_de.exe
> >>on WinXP - SP3.
> >>
> >>Regards,Ok, without an official AOO build QA work is nonsense. It makes no sense
to jumpp from developer playground A to developer build b to c to see if something is fixed.
> >>Olaf
> >>
> >I'm using
> >http://people.apache.org/~orw/DevSnapshots-Rev.1229535/win32/OOo-Dev_OOO340m1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe
> >

> >Regards,
> >Zoltan
> >

> Ok, I see.
> Without an official AOO build QA work is nonsense.

I tend to disagree here. It seems you're not subscribed to the issues
mailing list (ooo-issues-subscribe@incubator.apache.org). Many issues
have been discovered (and even solved) since we started providing builds
for testing purposes.

Calling this a nonsense is underestimating the efforts of people doing the
build, people doing the QA (Regina, Reizinger, Oliver, et. al.), and
people solving the issues.

Just to quote an example, Regina's work testing the new SVG
implementation is remarkable, and I'm sure Armin appreciates it.

Facts have shown that builds are useful, we have volunteers willing to
help QAing, so we should keep providing them until we have official weekly
Developer Snapshots.

That said, I agree that the situation is suboptimal, but we do not have
buildboots for all platforms yet.

> It makes no sense
> to jump from developer playground A to developer build b to c to see
> if something is fixed or not.

Back to the present issue, as I wrote in the bug, we have to split:

a) this issue, detect JRE 7.0 version
b) issues with things that don't work with JRE 7

For (b), please open new bug reports of the kind "[java 7] XXX does not work"
or the like. And set them as blockers for i118352 when/if they are
confirmed.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile