incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: May I use "OpenOffice.org" and "Apache Incubator" logos on OpenOffice.org CD
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:55:59 GMT
On Thursday 12 Jan 2012 12:26:59 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org>
wrote:
> > Rob Weir wrote:
> >>
> >> As we've done in the past, we seek lazy consensus from the PPMC on
> >> these requests and then send our recommendation to the Branding VP
> >> (Shane) for the final decision. So let's wait 72-hours and see if
> >> there are any concerns.
> >
> > No objections at all, but I would generalize the question and turn it
> > into a FAQ: surely we can't expect to have to approve logo requests for
> > every CD distribution initiative, so we should probably reach the
> > consensus (and consult Shane) on generically allowing the OpenOffice.org
> > logo, and the logo that will eventually replace it, on CDs containing
> > the unmodified software as released by Apache (a more proper wording can
> > probably be found, but you get the concept).
>
> So, hypothetically, if someone wanted to produce CD's that contained
> literal copies of AOO and put the logo on them, would they then be
> allowed to sell them on eBay, and to show a photograph of the CD with
> the logo?  That would be allowed if we gave blanket permission.
>
> Also, would someone be allowed to use the logo for CD's that they sell
> from a website where they claim that OpenOffice is in danger and that
> they are collecting donations in order to rescue OpenOffice?
>
> It might make sense to handle these requests case-by-case for now,
> until we have a better sense of what kinds of problems we will
> encounter.

Lets stick with CTR, one thing that history has shown us is that there are a
lot of eyes out there, if someone is misusing the brand, it gets back to us
pretty fast.  Far too much time is being spent on this sort of nonproductive
effort where we could simply be using the eyes of the wider community to keep
us in touch.

Hands-off worked in the past, sure there were breaches, but in terms of the
greater picture the numbers were very small.  The easier we can make it for
the brand to be out in the wild the better, if only from a brand recognition
point of view.  If we want to have absolute control over how and where the
brand is used then it will not get the spread it needs without the expense of
paid advertising.

Not much point in having a a brand if we are the only ones looking at it or
recognising it.

> > The old policy, if I recall correctly, was to allow this kind of usage
> > and a generic usage for "community activities".

indeed

Cheers
GL