incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <g.a.lau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 09:28:22 GMT
On Monday 09 Jan 2012 17:57:55 Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Thanks Graham!
>
> --- Dom 8/1/12, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> > > I'm not sure any of these are killer objections to the
> > > use of a commercial font.  But I think we'd want a strong
> > > design reason for not using a font with few or no
> > > restrictions.
> >
> > +1, the old font was a commercial one: Frutiger, which
> > caused all sorts of  issues when being used by the
> > community Artists.
> > There are plenty of similar fonts about.  The "best"
> > solution was Liberation Sans at 60% IIRC.  But that
> > was just to try and maintain the old logo look as close as
> > possible.
>
> FWIW,
>
> Android fonts are under AL2, and there's also the plus that
> they should display very well on mobile devices which have
> become so important nowadays. FWIW, I am playing (just playing)
> with Android Sans at 60% but my uneducated eye doesn't notice much
> difference.

The biggest problem with using many typefaces in shortened form is that if the
contrast is low on the original typeface, you can end up with a negative
contrast.

This was one of the disadvantages of the Liberation and Deja Vu font families
at anything under 80% a stem would end up thinner than the shoulder, most
obviously in an O.  Additionally, Frutiger had a high contrast so to maintain
the look was difficult just by shortening typeface.

Cheers
GL