incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BUILD] Linux buildboot set up and configure switches
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:41:51 GMT
On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 07:38:40AM -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> > Maybe we should have a second configuration without any switches and running
> > the RAT scans and produce our source releases which we have to provide.
> >

> +1
>
> You make an important point.  Unlike legacy OOo project, AOO needs to
> consider two release packages:
>
> 1) Source package, which builds with default build options and
> produces working binaries with only compatible licenses (ALv2 and
> category-a).  It might miss some functionality, but it must generally
> still work.
>
> 2) Binary package, which may include category-b dependencies.
>

> If we only build #2 then #1 will soon break and we won't know about it
> until it becomes very painful and expensive to fix.   Since we have
> already made a big investment in cleaning the build to ensure #1
> works, we should think of a way to verify that it still works, on an
> ongoing basis.
>
> Maybe:
>
> 1) Do an extra build each night with default build options, so we get
> #1 above?  Maybe not on every platform, or we do platforms in
> rotation?
>
> or
>
> 2) Alternate builds.  Odd days are #1, and even days are #2
>
> or
>
> 3) Something else?

you have to add localized builds, as Oliver pointed out.
Localized builds everyday will be an overhead for the build boots, for
example, my build on 6 cores computer takes less than 1:30 hr with no
languages, and circa 3 hrs with en-US, de, es, fr, it, ja.

In this case, a weekly developer snapshot build makes more sense than
daily builds.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile