incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BUILD] New unofficial, untested and unstable "Developer Snapshots" builds (rev. 1226179)
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 00:44:25 GMT
Hi Paul,

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 04:51:29PM -0500, Paul Gress wrote:
> On 01/ 2/12 02:36 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >FYI I've uploaded new "Developer Snapshots" builds, based on rev.
> >1226179 http://people.apache.org/~arielch/packages/
> >
> >"Developer Snapshots" builds install with a different name, not
> >overriding stable installations.
> >

> >Regards
>

> Hi,
>
> I've been following development for sometime.  I've noticed now you
> started posing "Developer Snapshot" builds.  Great!
>
> Now my problem,  I use Solaris X86, specifically Solaris 11 (Oracles
> latest release).  I went to the page linked above, and it directs you
> to secondary link for Solaris X86 builds.  I followed that link, but
> it appears there is no development build for an "English" version.
> The only build appears to be is a "SDK" which doesn't have any
> binary's for which I can run 3.4 dev.

There are no Developer Snapshot for Solaris, and you're right, the en-US
install set is missing. I CC here L'oiseau de mer, who kindly
contributed the Solaris builds.

> Is there another location for English versions?

No, there isn't.

> Why couldn't all
> versions be on the one download page as was provided when Sun/Oracle
> provided downloads?

These are not official builds, but community contributed. Right now
Apache OpenOffice has only a buildboot building Linux x86-64 DEB
packages. When all build machines are set up, there will be official
version for all supported platforms.

On the other hand, I didn't place all packages on the same page and
linked them instead because:

* my internet provider gives very low upload bandwidth (0.68 Mb/s,
  compared to the 12.30 Mb/s upload bandwidth), uploading the builds
  I built myself took me 5 hours

* including the Solaris and Mac OS X packages in the download tables on
  that page would be rather confusing, because all my builds are Developer
  Snapshots based on the same revision, Solaris builds my be of the same
  or a close revision, but are not dev builds; and Mac OS X builds are
  older and no dev builds either.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile