incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:50:24 GMT
On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 10:32:10AM +0100, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> > you discuss about Release Plan and who are allowed to distribute
> > binaries with the name Apache OpenOffice.
> >
> > But:
> >
> > What should a user do?
> >
> > There is no "official" binary available which anyone can install for
> > testing.
> >
> > The DEB binary from  http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/
> > can't be installed on a Debian 64 bit system.
> >
> > I already described this problem at 17.12.2011 but nothing happened. As
> > Ariel described there must be an update of one programm on the buildbot.
> >
> > Does Apache also want to release more than one plattform?
> >
> > So we also need test binaries for these plattforms.
> >
> > In my opinion this is an *absolute release stopper* not to have binaries
> > to test from "official" build maschines.
> >

> it's of course a serious problem where we have to find a solution. We don't
> have the same infra structure as before and the release engineers did a lot
> to ensure a common base line to support as many Linux versions as possible.
> Normally the office would come via the distro and would have been build for
> the distro and the specific versions of the system libraries. This is much
> easier and i hope we can achieve this state in the future...

I doubt this is going to happen. linux distros have switched to LO, and
I guess Canonical, RedHat, Suse, ..., have interest in building a brand,
so you cannot expect their interest in supporting packaging and distributing
AOO; in conclusion, AOO relies on a "universal" Linux package.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina