incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <>
Subject Re: Request to use Extension / Templat drupal code
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:37:45 GMT
On Sat, 2012-01-28 at 18:11 -0500, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Drew,
> Sorry for late reply….
> On 25 January 2012 13:20, drew <> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I put this request to the infra ML the other day, but likely should of
> > put it here first.
> >
> > I would like to get a copy of the Drupal code currently running the
> > extension and template sites.
> >
> > After re-branding, of course, and other changes TBD would use this for
> > distribution with the Small Business Server VM I'm working on -
> > specifically: use as a OTB local repository service.
> What would be a real use case scenario? Being concrete here would be
> useful, though I doubt it would affect the decision.

Sure - A number of school systems, in the US, as an example setup local
repositories. There is one instance I've heard of of a corporations that
do the same thing. As best as I can gather the drivers for this decision
is: Security and Corp. IT desktop configuration. So instead of saying
here is a list of all acceptable extensions and then installing all on
every desktop a repository is setup withe the vetted and accepted
optional extensions (or locally produced extensions) and the end user is
allowed to install from that set, as needed, to their local

Now OOo of course offers the ability to have a shared location for
templates right out of the box already - however this is not an optimal
solution for all network configurations.

So - when I refer to a local repository I'm referring to a repository
sitting behind a corporate firewall or within their intranet if you

> > License wise for the custom modules etc, from what I gather would have
> > to be GPL2 or newer so for hosting of custom pieces sourceforge would
> > seem a natural fit in this case :)
> >
> > Speaking of SF - I suppose it could be done that way also, instead of
> > getting the code via ASF, acquire it from SF.
> Yes, but I tend to think, from experience, that centralizing efforts
> actually helps things, though SF is such well-trod territory that I
> doubt there'd be surprises. My reasoning has to do not with proximate
> location but license coherence. Not much of an issue here, now, but it
> could be, as we are all aware.
> >
> > Anyway not a big rush for my purposes but would like to get the ball
> > rolling if possible.
> >
> > Any thoughts, suggestions would be most welcomed.
> If I understand you rightly, I think the more ideas you have on this
> subject you are willing to share, the better.

There are of course three options:

1 - start from scratch
2 - start from an existing implementation
 2a - the OOo site
 2b - the LibO site

I already know I could use the LibO site, however some of what was added
work flow wise probably doesn't make a lot sense for this purpose. (of
course I could be wrong on that and this needs to be looked at in more
detail) The license on the LibO Pootle based implementation leaves me a
bit cold also.

Thanks for the questions.

Best wishes,

View raw message