incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Category-B tarballs in SVN (was Re: External libraries)
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:52:46 GMT
Hello;

--- Ven 13/1/12, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> ha scritto:

> It's certainly an edge case, and I'm not completely convinced
> that I agree with you about it Ross.  The ASF's position
> on svn distributions is that you can put anything in there
> that you like, provided we have the legal authority to
> redistribute it.  There are no other conditions to my knowledge,
> which is why we've had GPL code amongst other code in there.

I for one signed an iCLA and considering section 7, I
wouldn't go ahead and commit copyleft content to SVN
without discussing it carefully.

Rob has gone unilaterally about declaring what he
thinks as a known truth and assuming because he wrote
it on a wiki and no one has complained then it is the
one true way (TM). In his defense I have to say he did
ask the right questions but he didn't get concrete answers.

I think Andrea Pescetti has given us a lesson on how things
are done. Who knows, I think if Rob does a well thought
proposal to legal@ and we all give our feedback concerning
the shortcomings or relative virtues of this approach we may
get to something.

Pedro.