incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject R: NOTICE, LICENSE, README etc.
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:26:17 GMT
Hi Jurgen;

--- Lun 9/1/12, J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to get an overview about the current state in an
> installed office and the process of generating localized
> LICENSE files, README and how the
> THIRSPARTYLICENSEREADME.html comes into the game...
>
> Current situation on a
>
> MacOS system
> ============
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/LICENSE.hmtl
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/README.html
> OpenOffice.org.app/Content/basis-link/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>
> Window system
> =============
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.html
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/license.txt
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.html
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readme.txt
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.html
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/readmes/readme_en-US.txt
> .../OpenOffice.org 3/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>
> readme files are always the same, readme.[txt|html] =
> readme.[txt|html]
>
> Linux System
> ============
> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE
> /org/openoffice.org/LICENSE.hmtl
> /org/openoffice.org/README
> /org/openoffice.org/README.html
> /org/openoffice.org/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>

> The input for these files comes from the
> main/readlicense_oo module
>
> LICENSE
> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.html
> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.txt
> readlicense_oo/source/license/license_en-US.rtf
>
> README
> readlicense_oo/docs/readme/readme.xrm
>
> the "plattform" specific README will be generated out of
> the readme.xrm file . Well don't ask why it is done this
> way. It looks quite complicate ...
>
> THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME
> readlicense_oo/html/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html
>

> I can't really find any information on [1] if we need
> localized versions of the LICENSE, NOTICE, README files.

While this can be done, the English version
of the LICENSE must always be available.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Translation

> 4. THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl has to be merged into
> NOTICE (or already had)

I did some partial merges and I stripped the GPL'd stuff
from the THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.hmtl, but I it was meant
only for reference and I was not strict enough: there is
surely some stuff (Bitstream Vera fonts and Xalan at least)
that we don't use. Would it be difficult to rename that file
NOTICE.html and scratch it into the exact NOTICE file in html
format?

cheers,

Pedro.