incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving ahead with the AOO logo and rebranding
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 04:57:55 GMT
Thanks Graham!

--- Dom 8/1/12, Graham Lauder <g.a.lauder@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> > I'm not sure any of these are killer objections to the
> > use of a commercial font.  But I think we'd want a strong
> > design reason for not using a font with few or no
> > restrictions.
>
> +1, the old font was a commercial one: Frutiger, which
> caused all sorts of  issues when being used by the
> community Artists.
> There are plenty of similar fonts about.  The "best"
> solution was Liberation Sans at 60% IIRC.  But that
> was just to try and maintain the old logo look as close as
> possible.

FWIW,

Android fonts are under AL2, and there's also the plus that
they should display very well on mobile devices which have
become so important nowadays. FWIW, I am playing (just playing)
with Android Sans at 60% but my uneducated eye doesn't notice much difference. I certainly
agree the font is not as important as
so many other factors that should be taken into account.

I haven't yet got to the aesthetic and general marketing issues
you mentioned so there is truly a lot to think and this is not
really anywhere near my priorities lately so no promises
from my side, but I surely had to say that you hit the nail in
this posting.

Pedro.