incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: EN Forum Activity Summary
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 01:21:28 GMT
On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 19:32 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Hagar Delest <hagar.delest@laposte.net> wrote:
> > Le ven. 30 déc. 2011 09:57:45 CET, Andrew Rist <andrew.rist@oracle.com> a
> > écrit :
> >
> >> This is great stuff - any way this could be posted as a blog post on the
> >> main AOO blog?
> >>
> >> Andrew
> >

> > Here is a proposal.
> > ___________________________________
> >
> > The Community Forum: New Year Status
> >
> > After 4 years of existence, the Community Forum has moved on the ASF servers
> > end of October 2011. Here are some figures about how we are doing on the
> > English forum. I will try to make this kind of report on a monthly basis in
> > the forum
> > (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=46497)
> > but not on the blog. This post is just to announce it.
> >
> > Some history first. To make a long story short: fearing the disappearance of
> > the first forum (http://www.oooforum.org) due to spam especially, a group of
> > users decided to create a new forum managed by the users themselves. Topics
> > about the whole story can be found on both forums. By luck, Sun offered to
> > host the forum on their servers in Hamburg (for free) but our independence
> > was part of the deal. The forum has been tagged “official” rather wrongly:
> > even if we were on Sun then Oracle hardware, they both have never interfered
> > in the running of the forum and we are deeply grateful for that.
> > To manage the forum, a group of Volunteers has been settled. It was first
> > made of the users who departed from oooforum (some still contribute to it)
> > and then users have been integrated when their contribution showed a true
> > dedication to the forum (steady activity and quality of posts). We had a
> > private area (not visible by standard users) where the management of the
> > forum could be discussed like moderation, forum software features, … So the
> > forum is really managed by a group of users helping other users (for free,
> > on their spare time).
>
> I don't know if you saw it or not, but we already had a blog post on
> the forum migration:
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/openoffice_org_migration_the_community
>
> That dealt with the history, etc.   I think you could get straight to
> the "New Year Status".
>
> Also, I think we should avoid saying negative things about
> oooforum.org.  Remember, they are part of our ecosystem as well.

Hello Hagar,

I like it.

Two things to add to the last emails, I think.

One - I think you could do without the second paragraph also, otherwise
for a first post (see below :-} long is ok I'd think, but I've often
been told all written material is made better, when shorter.

Second - I really would like to see you actually publish to the blog on
your own. I know that you have made a practice to put stats such as this
to the forum a few times a year, I like the usual attending graph. I
know it means setting up another account, but I think it would really be
nice if you could simply expand to include a blog post at the same time,
the same 2 paragraph and graph type post.

There is my editorial opinion :)

So, again thanks that's great.

//drew