incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] AOO cannot be installed
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:29:06 GMT
On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 15:34 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

on buildbots for several platforms.

about it and let people know...
to get this up and running.  As such, the infrastructure team is a limited resource, and basically,
we are waiting for our turn.  (right now they are dealing with other fires, like someone who
uploaded a 9GB website and pushed CMS right to the edge...  DAVE  ;-)

> >> The only sledgehammer build coming will be when we pull the trigger on the logo
change. Otherwise everything is a vertical.

> >> I'm sure that stable templates and extensions is taking some of Gavin's attention
away from the buildbot. What's our priority?

> > My thoughts on this - the application, the physical distribution files,
> > should take precedence for branding purpose.
> >

> And why cannot we do both?

We can, of course.

It's a judgment call regarding timing and sequence.

My primary reason for advocating that particular sequence is as an
attempt to control, finesse if you will, the conversation in the
extended user community and media.

As Graham pointed out a few times, rightfully, there are certain at
which is natural interest - this next few weeks I would expect to one of
those.

I believe that the change to the top level branding on the website,
particularly if that coincides with an announcement (blog, email, etc)
as discussed in another thread, will generate a certain level of
conversation.

I also feel it worthwhile to maximize that moment of interest by
waiting, which does not mean not working on and staging, on the
re-branded launch of the site, if you will, by setting as our trigger
the ability to change the link on the website for the Developer Snapshot
build to an actual download of Apache OpenOffice.

In a real sense, I feel, one then has a conversation not only about the
ephemeral changes of a name but substantive conversations about the
results of the projects real purpose, to date.

Now, as I said it's a subjective call and I recognize it's just my
opinion - I won't be hurt if folks as group decide it's not really worth
the delay.

But again I'm not saying don't start re-branding the web pages and other
items [1], only that it's staged work for a coordinated roll out event.

//drew

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Presentations
It would be great if someone grabbed one of these real quick also..

> After all, there are volunteers who can
> update the branding on the website who are not able to update the C++
> code.  So it is not like making progress on the website rebranding
> comes at the expense of updating the C++ code.
>
> > In other words, I would advocate leaving the branding on the
> > OpenOffice.org website basically unchanged from as it is today and work
> > smartly towards the change to what displays on the users screens when
> > they download and install a binary retrieved from the site.
> >
> > I'm not saying to delay the web site branding change until a full 3.4
> > release, but rather only until a link to an ASP buildbot download URl is
> > ready for publishing. My working assumption on time for that, if I'm
> > understanding correctly what I'm reading in the mailing list, is that
> > this is really not that far off down the road - a week, a few weeks most
> > it sounds like.
> >
> > I think it makes sense branding wise to manifest intentions in little
> > details such as this, right now (last few days) with the few thousand
> > signups on the announce list and some other social net activity it seems
> > as if the next ring outwards of OO.o interested individuals are waking
> > up to what is happening here - so maybe for this next week we don't
> > break the visual links to the legacy OO.o site, not until we have that
> > concrete link to what is actually of interest to them, the application.
> > Let the early bird versions of the application break the ice with the
> > full blown new name and branding, not the website.
> >
> > just my .02
> >

> I'm not hearing an objection to someone doing the inevitable website
> branding updates now.  It is just that you would prefer yourself to
> concentrate on the product code?
>
> (I'm disregarding for the moment the possibility that you have a
> opinion on what other volunteers should do.  I'm not sure that is
> entirely relevant.  The direction of the project in the end is the sum
> of our individual preferences for what we want to work on at a given
> time, not what we want others to work on)
>
> > //drew
> >

> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

This is much