incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject suggested CMS workflows for ooo-site
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:28:07 GMT
Given that the size of ooo-site is around 9GB, there
are some unique challenges here in dealing with the CMS.
For the most part tho, the typical workflow of editing
a few pages on the site, committing them, and publishing
them can all be done reasonably effectively using the CMS
website.

OTOH, people who need to monkey with templates/** or lib/**
files will trigger full site builds and their changes may
materially impact every file on the site.  While I've now
reduced the build time to around 4 minutes, the bottleneck
now remains squarely in the time it takes svn to commit back
those changes and to deal with merging those changes during
publication requests.

In those circumstances I strongly advise you to use the
publish.pl script on people.apache.org to review and if
ok publish your changes.  This will eliminate the chances
that your browser times out a direct publish request to the
CMS site, which is a real hassle given that it takes ~15
minutes for a largeish publish request to be processed.

In the near future we will be upgrading svn to 1.7 on the CMS
server which will bring in better performance along with
full support for deletions via svn, but I don't expect the
performance changes to significantly alter the workflow I'm
recommending here.

And please for the sake of others who want to work on minor
changes to the site, don't make a sledgehammer type commit
without following up with an eventual publish request, because
publish requests are an all-or-nothing type deal.  That means
a sledgehammer commit will cause unreasonable delays for people
who are trying to publish minor changes to the site, until
the person who did the sledgehammer commit follows thru and
publishes everything.

HTH