incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <>
Subject Re: Team OpenOffice White Label Office (powered by Apache Open Office)
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 08:03:24 GMT
Hi Rob,

Le 4 janv. 12 à 02:24, Rob Weir a écrit :
> Note that this does not become your product's name.  It is a logo,
> like "Intel Inside", that can be used by 3rd party products that
> include or are based on an Apache product.

This point is ESSENTIAL, and imho, only official Apache websites should use the logo.

Though, if 3rd party product want to mention they are based on Apache
product, then they can write it, and why not, add the apache logo.
But not the one.

> So it allows you to grow your own brand while accurately expressing
> your use of the Apache code. We'd need to think how this could work
> with products based on legacy OOo releases, pre Apache.

This is a bad track. Indeed, people are already completly confused.

At one recent event, I discussed with some around 20 average french
people (randomly, average users, not following story),
and the result is :

- Oracle is the current owner
- is no longer free and Oracle killed it

- LibreOffie is the new name of
- Apache OpenOffice is yet another fork, nobody knows and nobody cares.

It took me a long time to explain them what happened in meantime.

I invite everybody to repeat the test, and share what they obtain.

> But I think something similar could be discussed.

> If we wanted, we could also include a link on the main download
> page, pointing too White Label Office, but we'd need to be fair and
> offer the same kind of link to anyone else who was based on OOo,
> and who was respecting the trademarks, e.g., LibreOffice, Symphony,
> etc.

IMHO, the right decision is to NOT add external links at all : easy
to manage, and always fair for all.

To justify this point of view, I got one famous example in mind : one
NeoOffice link was added (Simon Phipps around already ...) on the
main porting project web page. It was a disaster for because people were confused, and thought NeoOffice
was the "official" Mac OS X port. This way, NeoOffice derivated a
long time the porting project forces, including donations who were
derivated too.

The case is exactly the same with LibreOffice today, and I strongly
suggest to retain the lesson of the past, and to not redo the same

Defend the name, and control the logo usage, is ESSENTIAL. Just
wondering how long it will take to the Apache people, to understand
that it was the worse decision ever to rename** into
Apache OpenOffice (instead of Apache, far better).

Eric Bachard

**I bet there are a lot of LibreOffice / TDF supporters in the list
of the people who voted for the change.

Projet OOo4Kids :
L'association EducOOo :
Blog :